Solve these word puzzles as a way to develop logical thinking and pattern matching skills needed to enjoy both computing and maths, while practicing reading, writing and spelling. (see also our maths kriss-kross).
Kriss-kross puzzles combine a love of words with a love of logic. Given a list of words of different lengths, you must fit them all in to the grid.
- logical thinking
- pattern matching
- computational thinking
Also for younger children practice and explore:
- writing letters
Teach as part of:
- english, or
- linked to a theme
- If there is only one word of any length left then find the blank word in the grid of that length and the word goes there.
- If you know some letters of a word in the grid then count how many letters long it is and compare the unused words of that length with the pattern of known letters. If only one matches you have found where it goes. Otherwise you need more information so try another word in the grid.
How to solve them
Here are slides giving a first introduction to logical thinking (and so problem solving) using Kriss-Kross.
Here are Kriss-Kross puzzle sheets and solutions that you can download.
Kriss-kross are a fun way to practice phonics at the same time as counting and starting logical thinking with children just learning to read. For the younger age group, talk them through the steps of what to look for – which word to start with (one where there is nothing more of that length, then point them to a word you know a letter of and so on). Have them read the word before and after filling it in.
Kriss-kross with a variety of other topic links are below.
- Puzzle Sheet: Kriss-Kross 4 – Programming for younger children [PDF]
- Raw Puzzle: Raw version of Kriss-Kross 4 Programming… to include in your own handouts [PDF]
- Solution Sheet: Kriss-Kross 4 – Programming Solution [PDF]
- Puzzle Sheet: Kriss-Kross 1 – Minbeasts [PDF]
- Puzzle Sheet: Kriss-Kross 1 – Minibeasts (for younger children)[PDF]
- Raw Puzzle: Raw version of Kriss-Kross 1-minbeasts … to include in your own handouts [PDF]
- Solution Sheet: Kriss Kross 1 – Minbeasts Solution [PDF]
Kriss-kross puzzles combine a love of words with a love of logic. Given a list of words of different lengths, you must fit them all in to the grid. See our Kriss-Kross page for more kiss-kross puzzles.
- Puzzle Sheet: Kriss-Kross -Halloween [PDF]
- Raw Puzzle: Raw version of Kriss-Kross Halloween … to include in your own handouts [PDF]
- Solution Sheet: Kriss-Kross – Halloween Solution [PDF]
- NB Pumpkin ended in the wrong column in the first version (now fixed)
- Visit our Christmas Kriss-Kross Page