An inspiring unplugged session on teaching computing for teachers.
Is computational thinking just for computer scientists? Actually no. It has already revolutionised the way scientists, mathematicians and many others do their jobs.
Computing has changed the way science is done not just because of the availability of more powerful computers, but because it has given scientists a whole new toolset for thinking. In particular algorithmic thinking gives a new way of doing science. We will use cs4fn activities, games and magic tricks to illustrate how computational modelling can be used both to do and learn about other subjects. We will also use a magic trick to show how algebra plays an important role in logical thinking for computer scientists.
This session will cover:
- How Computational Thinking supports other subjects.
- What is computational modelling and how does it link to algorithmic thinking?
- How interdisciplinary Computational Thinking can be used to teach topics in Biology, Physics and Mathematics in a powerful and fun way.
Activities are suitable for all age groups and can be adapted to fit your teaching needs.
This session comes with linked activity sheets and ‘story’ write-ups that you can download:
- Activity: Brain-in-a-bag [PDF]
- Activity: Red Black Mind Meld Magic [PDF]
- Activity: Sodarace: Exploring Evolution with Computational Thinking [PDF]
- Activity: Activity-SodaConstructorPhysics [PDF]
- Activity Sheet: The Emotional Robot [PDF]
- Slides: Slides-brain-in-a-bag [PPT]
- Slides: Sodarace Evolution [PPT]
- Slides: Soda Constructor Physics [PPT]
- Slides: Red Black Mind Meld Magic [PPT]
- Video: Link to Social Robot Video [LINK]
- Java App: Sodarace Kiosk (Follow link and download from top right corner)
- Java App: SodaConstructor – Create creatures in a physics simulation
- Java App: A simple SodaConstructor Lurching Triangle to get you started
- Java App: Creature to Download: Dainty Walker
- Java App: Creature to Download: Monster Truck
- Java App: Creature to Download: mmaarrkkuuss
- Java App: Creature to Download: inspyre
- Java App: Creature to Download: Careful Slug
- Java App: Creature to Download: Legs
- Video: Sodarace Amoeba Race Video [MOV]
This is a self-contained evening interactive seminar session lasting about 60-90 minutes.
Similar sessions on other topics
Want to get up to speed on computing concepts like computational thinking or ideas for how to teach computing in a fun, inspiring way? Teaching London Computing with cs4fn run as series of free one off sessions for teachers of ICT and computing such as this one.
For our programme of longer courses for teachers please see CPD courses.
Sign-up to be kept informed of future workshops and courses.