Queen Mary University of London is part of a Mayor of London programme delivering professional development to educators in London. This programme is called TechPathways. The programme is a collaboration between Queen Mary and London CLC. The training is for educators in formal and informal settings who teach students between the age of 11 and 24 years old. The broad area of CPD is digital technologies.
London CLC is providing the breadth element of the programme and Queen Mary is providing in-depth courses. Depth course runs over a term, sometimes longer, and include educators trialling what they have learned in their learning environment. As part of this, we are incorporating research elements so that we can compare different pedagogical approaches across different settings and subject areas.
New free courses in London
- 11 March 2020 (Wed) – Teaching Networks KS3 – KS5 [Eventbrite tickets]
- Networks and the pedagogy for teaching about networks to your pupils, using binary boxes.
- 22 May 2020 (Fri) – Games Development with Construct 3 [Eventbrite tickets]
- An introduction to teaching Games Development for school teachers or educators in informal settings, using Construct 3. Please bring your own laptop with Google Chrome installed.
- 11 June 2020 (Thu) – Creating 3D animations with 3Dami [Eventbrite tickets]
- An introduction to 3D animation and the pedagogy for teaching about designing and making 3D animations, with 3Dami.
- 7 July 2020 (Tue) – Teaching Geographical Information Systems (GIS) [Eventbrite tickets]
- Introductory course to teaching with and about GIS for secondary school teachers, using free ArcGIS for schools (no programming needed).
Click the image below to download a flyer (.pptx)
All courses are free but failing to attend may incur a charge.
Previous depth courses which have been organised so far include:
- Industry Pedagogy. 17th May 2019 A course for IT industry professionals who volunteer in schools. The course was on pedagogy for teaching programming. Our first cohort was a pilot course with one large banking company. If successful, we plan to roll this course out to other organisations. Please register interest here. Resources for the course (password protected).
- Teaching Networks (with Duncan Maidens). 28th June 2019. A course for KS3/4/5 computing teachers on teaching networks. Resources for the course (password protected).
- Games Design (iMedia) (with BAFTA and DigitalSchoolHouse). October 2019. A course of computing teachers on teaching games design for the iMedia qualification using Construct 3. Resources for the course.
- Digital Art & Design. November 1st 2019. A course for Art and Design teachers and Computing teachers on teaching digital art and design (using processing and other tools).Resources for the course