Get the class programming a giant robot face – made of students.
Explore programming by making an affective (relating to moods and emotions) robot face out of card, tubes and students. Program it to react to different kinds of sounds (nasty, nice or sudden) and show different emotions (sad, happy, surprised). Then think up some other facial expressions and program rules to make the face respond to sounds with the new expressions.
- if statements
- simple object-based programming
- human-computer interaction
- artificial intelligence.
Resources This session comes with linked activity sheets and ‘story’ write-ups that you can download:
- Activity Sheet: Create-a-face [PDF]
- Activity Sheet: The Emotional Robot [PDF]
- Video: Link to Social Robot Video [LINK]
- Slides: Create a Face [PPT]
- Applet: Create a face applet on cs4fn [LINK]
This activity is closely related to the Emotion Machine Activity.