Newly announced: we have a new free event, Understanding New Careers: Creativity and Technology on 14 July and a one-week intensive A-level CPD course coming up in August (17-21). More details about these below.
In upcoming-date order…
1. GUI Programming in Python – Monday 29 June 2015 – FREE (limited availability)
Python is a popular language for elementary programming but it not so easy to write programs with a graphical user interface (GUI). This workshop will introduce GUI programming in Python, covering:
- the concepts common to all GUI frameworks: events, widgets and attributes
- the role of object-oriented programming in GUIs
- the choice of GUI frameworks (but looking mainly at tkinter, the default framework)
2. GUI Programming in Python – Monday 13 July – FREE (spaces available)
This workshop is identical to the one above.
3. Understanding New Careers: Creativity and Technology – 14 July – FREE
The event is for any London teacher who advises young people on careers, or who teaches art, or technology. Part-presentation, part-panel discussion, we will look at what happens in Tech City and discuss routes into new career opportunities in technology and creativity.
4. A-level Computing CPD: one-week intensive – 17-21 August 2015 – £300/150
This course equips Computing teachers with the programming subject knowledge and skills to teach the new A-level Computing curricula.
The course is taught using Python and includes much practical work. It is essential to have experience in programming, to GCSE level at least, including assignment, if statements, loops and arrays and ideally also function definitions. Delegates should be confident to solve simple programming problems requiring approx 20-50 lines, either with Python or a similar language.
The course costs £300 but thanks to funding from the Mayor of London we are able to reduce this for teachers in London.