The Computing Progression Pathways suggests that at the purple level, on the theme of Data & Data Representation, a student should demonstrate that he/she:
- Knows that digital computers use binary to represent all data. (Abstraction)
- Understands how bit patterns represent numbers and images. (Abstraction)
- Knows that computers transfer data in binary. (Abstraction)
- Understands the relationship between binary and file size (uncompressed). (Abstraction)
- Defines data types: real numbers and Boolean. (Abstraction)
- Queries data on one table using a typical query language. (Abstraction)
The following link to cs4fn articles that illustrate Data & Data Representation – Purple Level
- When we have to communicate with a computer and give it instructions we want to make life easy for ourselves.
More of our resources, including linked computing ‘story’ booklets can be found in our resources section. You may also want to look at cs4fn’s teacher resources or browse the latest cs4fn magazine.