There are lots of ways to represent numbers with different ways having been used through history.
- Stone Age Numbers (Unary)
- How do you add Baboon bones?
- Activity: Make your own number out of clay
- Prayer Beads and number representation (unary)
- Egyptian Numerals
- Symbols for 10s 100s, 1000s ….
- Activity: Add like an Egyptian
- Activity: Egyptian Hieroglyph Pixel Puzzle
- Roman Numerals [CS4FN article]
- getting complicated with IX etc but still pants at multiplication
- Activity: Roman Numeral Pixel Picture
- Bakuro (binary)
- Activity: Binary logical thinking Puzzles
- Chocolate Turing Machines
- Activity: make and program a Turing Machine to compute with unary and binary
More to come…
More on Computing and History