The Computing Progression Pathways suggests that at the red level, on the theme of algorithms, a student should demonstrate that he/she:
- Understands a recursive solution to a problem repeatedly applies the same solution to smaller instances of the problem. (Algorithmic Thinking) (Generalisation)
- Recognises that some problems share the same characteristics and use the same algorithm to solve both.(Algorithmic Thinking)(Generalisation)
- Understands the notion of performance for algorithms and appreciates that some algorithms have different performance characteristics for the same task. (Algorithmic Thinking) (Evaluation)
The following link to cs4fn articles that illustrate Algorithms – Red Level.
- Daisies usually have 34, 55 or 89 petals – all Fibonacci numbers
It is suggested that:
- Primary teachers focus on the badge statements from the Pink to Purple row.
- Secondary teachers focus on the badge statements from the Purple to Black row.
- The white row overlaps with the KS4 qualification specifications.