Pattern matching is a major part of computational thinking. It is a key part of generalising solutions.
Here are some pattern matching puzzles for primary pre-coders (UK KS1) that also support numeracy.
Odd Cat Out
Circle a cat that does NOT fit the pattern in each row of cats.
Complete the blank segment of the caterpillar to finish the pattern.
- Puzzle Sheet: Caterpillar Patterns Puzzle sheet 1 [pdf]
- Solution Sheet: Caterpillar Patterns Solution Sheet 1 [pdf]
Complete the missing words to finish the pattern.
- Puzzle Sheet: Caterpillar Patterns Puzzle sheet 2 [pdf]
- Solution Sheet: Caterpillar Patterns Solution Sheet 2 [pdf]
Write the number in the light of the lighthouse that continues the pattern.
A good way to spot many number patterns is to make a new series of numbers by subtracting the numbers next to each other in the original series.
- Puzzle Sheet: Lighthouse puzzles 1 Puzzle sheet [pdf]
- Solution Sheet: Lighthouse puzzles 1 Solution Sheet [pdf]
More to come